1. My friend is a builder, can’t he do my inspection for me?
It’s not a great idea to have friends complete building inspections on your behalf. Whilst it is always beneficial to have fresh and knowledgeable eyes go over the property, a qualified building inspector will undertake a neutral and extensive investigation of the property, inside and out. The last thing you’d like to happen is for a serious defect not to get picked up by your builder friend which lands you in serious trouble down the track. Leave it to the professionals and no one gets hurt emotionally or financially.
2. What actually happens during building and pest inspections?
A building and pest inspection is a thorough and in-depth investigation of your property designed to establish the true condition of the home or investment. A Jim’s Building Inspector will specifically target:
• Exterior and interior roof spaces and materials
• Under the floor area including foundations, framing, insulation and ground moisture
• Interior/exterior of the property including windows, floors, ceilings and any specific services and systems
• Other structures on the site such as sheds and garages
3. Can I attend the building and pest inspection and talk to the inspectors on the day?
You are very welcome to attend the building and pest inspection on the day. If you aren’t able to be there in person, your building inspector will call you straight after the inspection and go over findings on the phone. A full report will be emailed to you within 24 hours.
4. When should I book in a building and pest inspection?
A Building inspection is an essential step in the process of purchasing a home or project and it is recommended to all home owners and potential purchasers. The best time to book it in is either when you enter the contract of sale or before bidding at an auction – so that you have all the information you need on hand. When your contract is in place, the building inspection needs to tie in with settlement requirements.
5. How long does an inspection take?
The amount of time a Building and Pest Inspection takes really depends on the size and type of property being inspected. On average we allow up to two hours for an average sized house.
6. Can I arrange an inspection at short notice?
Jim’s Building Inspections can carry out requests at short notice. We have inspectors throughout New Zealand and a dedicated, centralized booking line to take your call 7 days a week.
7. What does a building inspection cost?
Jim’s Building Inspections New Zealand offer three convenient packages, tailored to meet different requirements. For your obligation free quote see https://www.jimsbuildinginspections.co.nz/get-a-quote/
8. Do you provide detailed reports?
Jim’s Building Inspections provides jargon-free, simple to understand inspection reports that are thorough and detailed. Jim’s Building Inspections use a tried and tested, industry leading and custom developed iPad application to ensure reporting is completed step by step and that nothing is missed or overlooked.
9. Is Jim’s Building Inspections licensed and insured?
A strict pre-selection process ensures Jim’s Building Inspectors are highly skilled, qualified, experienced, comprehensively insured and licensed where required, in accordance to local governance and requirements.
10. How long has Jim’s Building Inspections been in operation?
Jim’s Building Inspections New Zealand launched in 2016 and is expanding quickly. Originating in Australia Jim’s Building Inspections has a keen focus on customer service which is the basis for its continued growth and success.
Jim’s Building Inspections New Zealand offer a full suite of inspection services covering pre-purchase inspections, new home inspections, asbestos inspections and methamphetamine testing and inspections.
To speak to your local inspector call 0800 454 654.